(a) How to make a complaint?

  • A complaint can be made in Sinhala, Tamil or English
  • Complaint forms can be obtained free of charge from the HRCSL (head office or regional offices), or from the HRCSL website
  • Complaint can be lodged by in person, sent by post, by email, by fax or by giving information through the HRCSL hotline

(b) What Information should be included in a Complaint?

  • Which rights have been violated?
  • Whose rights have been violated?
  • Who is responsible for the violation/s?
  • In what manner were the rights violated?
  • Where and when did the violation took place?
  • What remedies do you seek?

(d) Who can make a Complaint to the Commission?

  • A victim or a group of victims of fundamental rights violation (or imminent violation)
  • A person or a group representing the victim(s) of rights violation
  • If reported in the media or the HRCSL receives information HRCSL can intervene even without a specific complaint made by a victim(s)

(e) Can the Commission Investigate into Matters Without Receiving any Complaints?

  • Yes. The Commission can investigate and inquire into fundamental rights violations on its own motion.

(f) How complaints are resolved

  • If the complaint does not fall within the Commission’s mandate it will not be accepted. However, if it falls within mandate of another body the HRCSL will direct the complainant to that body or forward the complaint to that institution (ex: administrative injustices can be referred to the Ombudsman’s Office).
  • If the complaint falls within the Commission’s mandate; A preliminary inquiry is conducted to determine whether there are enough grounds to proceed with the case or not. The case will be examined by, Calling the Petitioner, Calling for a report from the Respondent /s
  • If there is a prima facie case; Inquire into the matter and attempt to resolve through conciliation / mediation, or,
  • If conciliation / or mediation fails a recommendation can be made to the relevant authorities if a violation of a FR is found. Mediation or conciliation is not used if the complaint is regarding deprivation of liberty or torture.